January 14, 2009

Daddy-to-be

Every pregnant woman has her complaints. Some get them all out at the beginning, some wait to lay it on thick at the end, and others just spit out a constant stream over the entire nine (and a half) months.

I am no different from every pregnant woman in this regard. My main thrust of complaints are coming on pretty strong these days as my due date nears. I've really tried to curb the complaints, or at least shroud them with humor so I don't get the pity pout (a facial expression I can't stand), but one person who basically hears it all is the ol' husband. Men, you know what I'm sayin'. If your woman allowed you to speak your mind, you could tell us ALL a thing or two, and I'm not just talking about stretch marks and water retention (my two biggest battles at this 36-AND-A-HALF-week point). A pregnant, hormonal woman will punch her husband in the face if he dares utter a thing about her gas over-production, abnormal secretions, and diminished libido. I mean, if these guys want to continue to eat and live under the same roof, they'll keep their mouths shut.

Well, Ted has heard it all from yours truly, and it ain't over yet. But talk about taking it in stride! A couple of posts ago, I wrote about Thanksgiving and that one of the things I was thankful for was a husband who wants to touch, hold, hug, and kiss his pregnant wife no matter how large she's getting. Well, it's been a month and a half since then, and according to my last OB appt, I gained 8 lbs in a week, so the largeness rate is exponentially rising. I've been assured it's all water at this point, and the canyon-esque indentations from YESTERDAY'S socks would point to that cause as well, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

And what's Ted doing in the middle of all this? He purchased the book, The Expectant Father, and has been taking tips along the way. One of these is an almost-daily foot massage and leg stretch. Bless that man. He still kisses and cuddles me like crazy, including necessary bum-grabs, and tells me multiple times daily that he loves me. Then he spends a day to do things like this:



And this:



See, I bought him a cordless drill for Christmas and he's been having a good time with it. Admittedly, so have I. Does anyone else need to fan themselves when they see the man they love putting a room together for someone they haven't met yet?

All because of a little love...

10 comments:

Michelle Glauser said...

That is so sweet!

Jean said...

YAAAAAAAAAAY for Ted! You picked a good'un. :-)

The Hytes said...

You know a man is for keeps when he can watch you give birth and he still wants to make out. Just wait. Seriously though, I remember buying our first house when we were preggers with the first. The very first thing in the house was a crib... and he set it up that day before the rest of the house got moved in. So cute.

Kizzycakes said...

and don't you deserve it?!

Emily S said...

Yeah, Ted! Gary is an amazing husband, but there is one item on that list he does complain about . . . I'm feelin' for you right now. I think when not-pregnant people remember pregnancy, it's the last little bit that sticks in the mind. I went into labor with Josh at 36 weeks, 5 days - where you are. I paid my dues with the 2 days overdue one, though. I love hearing cool pregnant people complain because it makes me feel like I'm not a wimp! Not that I want you to be miserable, just that, yeah, good luck, best wishes, happy birthing, yada yada.

winkieburger said...

I hope you and Ted have enough energy to organize all those gifts from your shower! It was a lot of fun, thanks for the invite!

Heather Bratton

Stacey said...

I never thought I would read the phrase "diminished libido" on Allison's blog! Pregnancy does strange things... Hang in there!

candcfamily said...

I am so impressed he bought a book about parenting. According to Big C, parenting is just "common sense." Hang in there, the end will come...but I swear those last few days are the longest ones you will ever experience. Just a thought.. can you imagine being pregnant 9 more times? Your mom is amazing. I cant wait to meet your new baby.

charrette said...

AAAAaaaawwwww.....

give that man a good squeeze!

Stars&Straps said...

Ummm...can Tom borrow this book when Ted is done with it for a bit? Does it have pop-up pictures and large print words?

The Cooling Rack

Baked goods are only half the story...