September 11, 2010

Family outing: Mapleview Farms

We ventured about 15 miles from our house to indulge in some fabulous ice cream out in the bonafide countryside, made on site from North Carolinian cows. The dairy farm has a quaint country store where you can turn in your empty glass milk bottles and pick up more of their fresh, creamy milk. I hear tell their skim tastes like whole, but who gives a crap about milk when there's small-batch-produced ice cream to be had?

I introduced my mom to the many wonders while she was here. She got coconut, I got banana pudding. I know what you're thinking: "But there's no chocolate in banana pudding ice cream, dummy!" I realize this, and to that rude affront, I reply that to balance out my diet, I occasionally dabble in non-chocolate dessert items and still manage to find them quite delicious. Besides, one of life's greatest pleasures is a fresh banana milkshake, so I figured my flavor choice wouldn't stray too far from the mark. I was totally right, as usual.

The other thing I love about this place is the porch they provide, on which to enjoy said fab s'cream. There are no less than 20 rockers, all lined up. So feasibly I could invite my whole family and only half of them would have to sit on the floor. tee hee.

Last year, I came with Tessa shortly after our NC arrival and got this shot:



I decided to reprise the staging, so here's the 2010 version:



And since it looks like we started a tradition, here's Dean's first (he couldn't sit up well enough in the chair yet, so Grandma's helping him out 'til he can get more starch in him):



Now there's one dessert who's even MORE tasty than chocolate. Big servings of him are TOTALLY on my diet.

4 comments:

lyndsey said...

omg. that baby. i just want to eat him.

Jean said...

I'm with Lyndsey, I want to eat him too. And your little (big) girl, too!!

I had banana pudding ice cream out here once, and I was blown away. SO GOOD!

Sherice said...

Tessa looks the same except for her longer hair and legs :) She is very cute, as is your new baby boy!

KevandChels said...

Haha. We just went there and to solve the chocolate verses Banana Pudding dilemna (sp?) I got Peter the banana and me the chocolate, so really I got both:) Delicious.

The Cooling Rack

Baked goods are only half the story...